Friday, January 13, 2012

hello new year

Okay, okay - worst blogger EVER! That's right, I set everything up for this blog and walked away. Not a single post since March of 2011! Now, I'm not one for new year resolutions but it is my goal to update this little blog at least a few times each month. Let's see how it goes!

A lot has happened since Adam and I took our dogsledding trip. Some of the greatest highs and lows were experienced in 2011 so I must say, I'm looking forward to a new year. But for the sake of this blog also serving as my personal journal, I'll quickly highlight 2011.

Jetsetting: 
When Adam and I were married almost 5 years ago, we both knew that traveling the world would be part of our life together. We'd both come from families that enjoyed traveling so we made a promise that we'd try to take one big trip every year. So far - success! Our first three trips were beach vacations (well, four if you count the honeymoon). I had a hard time dreaming of anything more delightful than basking in the sun with a drink in hand while staring out across the blue water! BLISS! It doesn't get better, right? WRONG!

Our First Night in Paris!

Breakfast with a View

Adam had spent many of his family vacations traveling Europe so he had always wanted to take me to experience some of his favorite cities. So, after I squeezed in as many tropical vacays as possible, Adam finally said it was time to head across the pond. With that, we packed our bags and headed to Paris and London to celebrate four years of being Mr. and Mrs. Now, each of these fabulous cities deserves its own post but for now I will say, I never knew that I could love someplace so much! I am certain that I left my heart in Paris! I look forward to the day that we return to the land of delicious Bordeaux wine, outstanding museums, breathtaking landmarks, long dinners for two and Louis!


Marie Antoinette's Play Village - Versailles

The Mothership

Dining at Vin e7

A Great Loss: 
This summer was absolutely, without a doubt, the most difficult time in my life. It's still painful to replay so I will quickly say that I lost one of my best friends and greatest examples of faith, family, friendship and love. My sweet dad went home to be with his Lord and Savior on July 8th, 2011 after battling non-smokers lung cancer for nearly two years.



My dad was one-of-a-kind. He was a man that cared so deeply for people; calling everyone "friend."

He was a man of incredible faith. He used his cancer as a platform to share his faith and refused to question the Lord's plan, even on the toughest of days.

He was a family man who never missed a single t-ball, volleyball or basketball game and attended every halftime dance!



He poured himself into our lives - even starting a Christian high school with two of his friends so that us kids would have a strong education while continuing to grow in our faith.

My dad was an amazing man and I'm sure Heaven rejoiced at his homecoming. But we miss him. We miss him deeply.



"Man, this baby must corner like it's on rails":
On the heels of a difficult summer, my sweet husband planned a birthday I'll never forget! Ever since seeing Pretty Woman, I've had a thing for Lotuses. You know, the car?! I've peered in many windows, secretly praying that the owner wasn't watching from afar. But had I ever driven one - no! So let me set this up for you...

After leaving work early on Friday, I pulled up to the house where I saw Adam sitting on the front porch. Jumping to his feet he quickly opened the Jeep door and said, "you have 10 minutes to pack for the weekend - go!" I shoved a few days worth of outfits into a bag and was ushered out the door and back into the car.

After dropping off Bailey for her own doggie getaway, Adam drove towards downtown where he had planned a fun lunch for the two of us! During lunch he told me that we'd be enjoying a night in downtown Denver at the Grand Hyatt. AWESOME! We checked into the hotel but then quickly headed back out to explore the 16th Street Mall and Larimer Square.

Larimer Square!

As the dinner hour rolled around, we headed back to the Hyatt where Adam told me to put on a pretty dress because he was taking me to Bistro Vendome - one of my favorite French restaurants that allows me to pretend for a short time that I could actually be dining on the streets of Paris. "But I didn't pack any dresses." Not to worry, Adam had packed one of my favorite dresses, shoes and jewelry. Ahem, this isn't even the sweetest part of our great weekend getaway!

Bistro Vendome

The next morning we woke up early and left the hotel for day two in our weekend adventure. Pulling up to a gated garage I was told that my next gift was behind door number one! The door opened and there it was...in all its glory...shiny and bright...waiting for me. That's right, it was a chile pepper red Lotus Elise. There are no words to express how excited I was in this moment! For the next 24 hours, I had a date with the car of my dreams!

Door Number One!

Hello Lotus!

Best. Day. Ever.

This birthday really does deserve it's own post so let's just say, the next 24 hours were some of the greatest in my life! We drove through the mountains with the top down while hitting speeds of 60 mph around tight mountain corners. All of this led to a resort in Breckenridge where we enjoyed a night in one of my favorite little Colorado towns. Do we all agree that I have an amazing husband?! Thanks, Love, for making my birthday so very special!


Sweet love of my life!

The Little Dude: 
There are several times in my life when I've been given a new role, embarking on a new chapter. The greatest was when I became Mrs. Andrus - a wife to the love of my life. Recently, there is another role that I've absolutely adored...I'm officially a VERY proud aunt to one of the cutest little boys that has ever lived. What? You think I'm bias? See for yourself!!



Adorable, right?! Boone Robert Smith was born September 5, 2011 at 10:21pm. He was exactly 8 pounds and measured 20 inches long.

If there is one thing I can tell you about Boone it's that he has more facial expressions than anyone I've ever known! His smile lights up a room. His furrowed brow proves that his little mind is already at work. His heightened eyebrows show excitement for whatever he's looking at (typically his mom, dad and beloved doggies). And his little lip that curls outward when he's upset. There are many, many more Boone expressions - each one I wish I could bottle up and store so that I never forget. He is precious. I cannot even begin to express how much joy this little boy has brought into our world. He is a true gift from the Lord and we're all simply smitten with him.




Along with my excitement for my title, Auntie Abs, it has been such a blessing to watch my big brother and sister-in-law become wonderful, adoring parents. Their little family is something very special.


As you can see, 2011 was a year of many emotions. We have experienced both wonderful and challenging times but through it all, God has been so faithful. We have truly felt the presence of the Lord in a way that is almost unspeakable. We are grateful to serve a big God that remains in control when it feels like the world has turned upside down. He has never left our side. He has walked this past year with us, often carrying us through days that seem impossible. We are grateful.

With that, Adam and I feel extremely blessed and we look forward to 2012! We're also looking forward to sharing our adventures with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment